NEW Common App Prompts for 2017/18!
The Common Application just released the main essay prompts for the 2017/2018 applications. There are now SEVEN of them! I’ve done a thorough review of them and feel strongly that applicants should cross off 3 of these prompts right away…
There were no prompts for the last cycle so the changes are catching many by surprise. The Coalition App and Universal App both had the “create your own prompt” prompt which the Common App hasn’t had since 2013. Now they are bringing it back!
The 2017-2018 Common App Essay Prompts Are:
- Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story. [No change]
- The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience? [Revised]
- Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome? [Revised]
- Describe a problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma – anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution. [No change]
- Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others. [Revised]
- Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more? [New]
- Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you’ve already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design. [New]
I’ve done a thorough review of these and feel strongly that applicants should eliminate 3 of these right away. Work with me and I’ll explain which ones and why.
Are you a junior and ready to start your essays? We’re ready to help! Click here to set up your initial consultation TODAY.